Wednesday, 28 August 2013

Four times strudel and a happy end

Last time I had a lot of time for cooking and so I decided to make several kinds of strudel.
 
The recipe for the dough needs only a few ingredients that you have in stock surely.
500 g flour
4 tbsp oil
4 tbsp vinegar
250 ml warm water
1 pinch salt
Place the flour in a bowl with the salt and add the oil and the vinegar first, then the warm water. Stir with a spoon until it comes together and you can work it with your hands. Knead the dough until it is smooth, about 5 minutes. Beat the dough against the worktop so it will become smoother. Form the dough into a ball, brush it with a little oil and place it back in the bowl for at least half an hour, room temperature. Covering the dough with a vaporized bowl would prevent it from drying out. Roll out a quarter of the dough on a lightly floured board and spread the filling on it. Fold in left and right ends of the dough. Furl the dough from the front to form a roll and transfer to the baking sheet with the seam-side down. Brush with butter.

scallion strudel with bacon
Filling: two bunches of sliced scallions and 100 - 150 gr of chopped bacon.
 That's a very old family recipe from my great grandmother who I never met. So this strudel is a very delicious reminder of this unknown person who I owe my life to as well. I think she probably took less bacon but a fatter one. My grandmother and my mother often made this strudel and so do I.

scallion strudel with mozarella and dried tomatoes
Fill in 2 bunches of sliced scallions, some chopped dried tomatoes and 1 chopped mozzarella. Add salt and pepper. I tried this mixture today for the first time and I would say: Next time I'm going to take spinach instead of scallions again. That's a much more better taste. When you use spinach you can also change the cheese and take sheep cheese instead of mozarella. That's fine for all the vegetarian guests.

poppy seed strudel
Fill in a mixture of 150 g ground poppy seeds, 75 ml warm milk, 40 g melted butter, 1 small dash of rum, 1tsp cinnamon, 4 heaped tbsp sugar. I always add four chopped apples cause I think it makes the filling a bit more moist and tasty.
 

apple strudel
 Fill in one kilo of chopped apples - I took some of my apple tree - 1tsp cinnamon and three heaped tbsp brown sugar.
 While the sweet strudels are baking in the oven a wonderful scent that will remind you of your childhood will waft through your home. It attracts children, adults and even some small animals.
I recommend adding vanilla sauce, whipped cream or even a scoop of ice cream to the sweet strudels.
 
 Even this little wasp found the scent very appetizing and came to enjoy one small piece.
 Don't you think that the endings are looking nice too?
A real "happy end" therefore!
And many of my family members or guests like these "happy ends" best.
Wish you a happy end in all your affairs!
Miss Maple

4 comments:

  1. Oh, those look delicious! I especially like the look of the bacon one, I've never tried a savoury strudel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you would try that. It's not as difficult as you may think. It's also handy if you have guests because you can prepare everything and put it in the oven when the guests arrive.

      Delete
  2. I have never made a strudel, or tried a savoury one, but all these versions look and sound delicious. You have inspired me to have a go! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, give it a go. It's fun and not so difficult.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...