Thursday, 18 October 2012

Burning incense with local plants


This time I put the charcoal on sand in a silver cup and decorated with marigolds.
 The feather is for faning air to the gleaming charcoal or faning the smoke into the right direction. The spoon is made from olive wood, therefore the nice wavy grain. The candles are beeswax and therefore a very natural item too. The yellow "apples" in the bowl aren't apples at all but quinces from my mothers garden. They exhale a wonderful fruity scent.
 I try to collect my own natural material for incense burning in my garden or in the forest. You have to dry it first so that's a bit of a mess on my dining room table at the moment.
 

 What natural material is suitable for incense burning?
 
 spruce and pine cones
needles from spruce, fir, pine or yew tree
elder flower or wood
rosemary, sage, mint, lavender and thyme, yarrow
rose petals and mugwort
cedar or birch bark
and many more
 You can take cloves, cinnamon, star anise, cardamom, vanilla, laurel, coriander from your kitchen stock. They give wonderful scents. Orange or lemon peel as well.
Source
And I look for aromatic resin from spruce trees in the forest. But only take old resin that's no more sticky. It gives a better scent and your hands stay clean. And be careful, take only the driedaromatic  resin that you can break off easily to avoid hurting the tree again. 
How can you find resin? Look out for grey marks on the stems, like the ones in the picture below. 
That's dried spruce resin. It has a special scent.
 Maybe you're interested in incense burning with self collected natural materials now. So I hope you'll have fun in trying this new activity. I think it will fill you with peace and harmony like it did with me.
Have a colourful and natural day!
Miss Maple

3 comments:

  1. What a serene, immensely lovely tablescape. I could all but smell the warm, earthy, beautiful aromas wafting through the computer screen.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. This whole setting looks so warm and lovely! I can almost smell the amazing scent from the incense!

    Rebecca
    www.winnipegstyle.ca

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Miss Maple
    Those are beautiful colours and I bet it also smells wonderful. I once read that burning juniper helps agains strong cheese smells. I tried that after a fondue evening, but I think next time I would mix it with other scents because it's very strong.
    Hm, after reading about your burning of fragrances, I think I'll take my box with all my burning ingredients out again - it's very welcoming to have good smells at home after a long day of work, especially in fall and winter.
    Hug, Lea

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...