Wednesday, 24 October 2012

Another autumnal fruit bread

This time I tried a recipe that I had at home for more than 15 years. I got it in the Waldorf kindergarten where my little ones went to. It was a little risky to try it cause the woman who gave it to me only listed the ingredients by heart. So it wasn't sure that she thought of everything but it came out quite well as you can see in the photo and it tasted really really delicious.
 
Recipe: Irish Porter Cake
 Bring the following ingredients to a boil and let them cool down afterwards:
1/2 litres of dark beer (Guiness, Irish Porter, ...)
500 g dried fruit (plums, apricots, apples, figs, cranberries, pineapples, ...)
(I'd like to take more dried fruit next time.)
1 packet of candied orange peel
1 packet of candied lemon peel
250 g butter
150 - 250 g brown sugar (I don't like it too sweet!)
Add 1 kg of plain flour, 2 packets of baking powder, 3 beated eggs, spices like cinnamon, cloves, ginger, cardamom, mace. That gives a really chewy, heavy dough. Put into the baking mould and decorate with almonds or make little balls and bake. You can store it when wrapped in aluminium foil or in the freezer.
 A wonderful autumnal treat with black tea or coffee.
Have a colourful, sweet, fruity day!
Miss Maple

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful culinary creation. There is such a timeless, old-fashioned look to this scrumptious loaf. It strikes me as something that might have appeared on the table in a kitchen scene from a painting by one of the classic Dutch masters like Johannes Vermeer.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that looks so delicious. I'd be naughty and want to try the mixture uncooked x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...