Monday, 28 May 2012

Cabinets of curiosities

I'm completely over the moon with "Wunderkammers". That's the German word for cabinets of curiosities or cabinets of wonder, which were the predecessors of our modern museums. In the past rich sovereigns like princes, archbishops or dukes collected weird things from all over the world and displayed them in those cabinets. There were natural, artificial and exotic valuables.
The fabulous French painter Bridget Couc from Bridget is painting paints such cabinets full of transparent glass, corals, shells, eggs and so on. She sets the precious objects against a very dark background so that they seem to be jewels. I couldn't stop browsing her blog and admiring every single painting. Have a look at the selection below and I hope that you will enjoy it as much as I.
 
 
 
 You can visit real "Wunderkammers" for example in Berlin:
 
 There are also painted "Wunderkammers":
And some modern artists are composing such cabinets of wonders too, 
 
 And I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it with my proper eyes.
  There's a blog about mini cabinets of curiosities and you can find it here so that you can convince yourself with your very eyes.

Those cabinets are so right up my alley cause I'm such an addicted collector and can't resist to start even more new collections.
To be honest I have to admit I'm a real  
collector of collections.
Have a colourful, collective day!
Miss Maple

4 comments:

  1. thanks so much for ur lovely message u are so kind. this is a stunning post fab photos thanks for sharing wit us. have a great week kisses from ur Irish follower xx leo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had the space to be a collection collector too:). I love the paintings, the blue she uses is glorious! The rosary and coral cabinets would have to be my favourites. Thank for sharing these beauties!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these too, I studied them in Art History and have wanted to see some in person ever since! Apparently the Uffizi gallery in Florence has some amazing ones... Something to put on my list! Nice choices!

    Charmaine xxx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...